Friday, January 3, 2014

Winter Break 2013

Oh brother. Another long post. Ya'll ready for this?

We hadn't really planned it, but last week saw us travelling towards my hometown again. For the annual Islamic convention that takes place at the end of the year.

Spontaneity doesn't come easy to a plan ahead-er type like me.

So maybe you can imagine how hard it was for me to go along with my husband's hair brained idea.

You see, we were on our way to my sister-in-law's place 3 hours away for the weekend to spend some more time with my other sister-in-law who was visiting from up north.

We Face-timed another sister-in-law {there's four total} who was already at the conference and then my husband just goes, "Let's go to the conference."

I was driving and I looked over at him and said, "Are you freaking kidding me???"

I tried to convince him to turn back around so we could pack things like jackets and sweaters and socks as it is really cold where we were headed. But he said we would just pick things up along the way because it would take us two hours to pack everything and head out again. And he was probably right.

So that's what we did. We stopped at an outlet and picked up some essentials. And maybe some non-essentials as well. I mean, come on. They had just added a Hartstrings at the outlet and they were having an amazing sale!! Who could blame me? :P

We had tried to keep our going to the convention a secret. We only told my brother Umbear and his wife and that was only out of necessity, as we needed them to book a room for us. But everyone pretty much figured it out, either through eavesdropping on other people's secret phone calls {ahem, Lil S}, or because certain bhabi's of mine can't keep a secret {LOL my brother's wife spilled the beans a couple of times and then tried to cover it up but Lil S figured it all out}. Or, in the case of my husband's family, our secret was revealed through the family hotline...cousins texting back and forth. So pretty much the only people who didn't know were his sisters and older brother.

So why were we so secretive about our trip? 1) Because I just love surprising my family and 2) Monsieur's brother and his family had made a surprise appearance at the convention and Monsieur just wanted to return the favor.

The funniest part of the whole thing was when we pulled into the hotel parking lot. Pulling around, we almost crashed head on to someone coming around the curve. Lo and behold, it was Lil S. I was so happy to see him, I rolled down the window and waved and screamed at him like a crazy person. He shouted back, "You think you are SO SHADY!" It was a pretty great moment.

Another funny part was when we surprised my sister-in-law, Lolly. We hid under the covers and when she walked in the room, we all jumped out and yelled, "Surpriiiiiiiiiiise!!" Her expression was priceless.

Monsieur went to surprise his brother, who was sleeping in his room, but his brother was too sleepy and didn't figure it out until later.

Alhumdulillah. Good times.

 Reunited with Mariam!

 Watching some cartoons.
Because that's what we drove all the way to the convention for ;)

 The beautiful hotel.
I spy three stooges.

 Some of the cousins.

What happens when you ask your brother to take a group picture.
#moreselfiesthanateenagegirl

 Rare family picture!
Photo cred: Umbear

 Me in action.
Photo cred: Umbear
Masha'Allah.
Photo cred: Momo
 After the convention ended, we spent a few days with my brothers and sister-in-law and niece.
Enjoying some coffee and the view.

 Cooking with my sister-in-law.
Mariam doing what she does best.....exploring all the kitchen cabinets.

 Zainab doing some coloring.

 Mariam!

  Monsieur and I actually got to out to dinner by ourselves.
It was amazing.
Haven't done that in YEARS. 

 I got this text during our dinner.
At first, I had no idea who it was.
Then the "tokoe bell" clued me in.
Maymunah knows how to text. Still can't believe it.
#growinguptoofast

 Oh yeah, Haadiya went with us.
It was the cutest thing watching her gobble up chips and dip.
Of course she had to do it herself and was covered in cheese dip afterwards. But she is so stinking cute, all was forgiven ;).

Haadiya and Mariam actually playing nicely.
Usually they were fighting over EVERYTHING. 
Create-your-own-pancake breakfast one morning.
Chocolate chunk, white chocolate, macadamia nuts, peanut butter chips, and even some raw cookie dough. 

I think this trip is one of the craziest things we have done. Oh, wait. We did do the whole RV thing this past summer. So maybe we are more spontaneous than I would like to admit.

How was your break? 

5 comments:

  1. The hotel this year looks really nice! Did you attend Omar S. speech?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hotel was gorgeous. No, sadly I did not. We got there too late. I attended absolutely zero speeches this time.

      Delete
  2. asalam arlykoum
    The winter is cool
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe I've only just discovered ur blog! Accidentally through google images, while looking for a utensil caddy no less lol. I can't wait to try some of the craft tutorials in your "If I can make it, so can you section". I'm quite creative alhamdulilah, but my hands don't always do what my brain wants them to lol. I look forward to reading more posts xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO MUCH for stopping by! I LOVE reading your comments! Come again soon!